Careless smoking cause of Stayner fire that results in $100k in damage

Careless smoking was the cause of a fire that caused $100,000 in Stayner on Wednesday morning. Clearview Township fire crews responded to an apartment complex on Brock Street shortly before 8 a.m.

Clearview Fire Chief Colin Shewell said smoke was coming from one of the units, which contained two apartments.

"I deployed a fire pro extinguishing agent into the first floor to help contain the fire while a crew of two initiated interior attack," said Shewell.

He said nobody was in the apartment at the time, but neighbouring residents needed to be evacuated. Shewell said a Main Street business made the call to 911.

"Citizens were instrumental at directing fire crews promptly and effectively to the area of the fire." he said.

Full Story

Careless smoking causes apartment fire in Stayner

Careless smoking is being cited as the cause of a $75,000 fire at a small apartment complex on Brock Street in Stayner Wednesday morning.

Neighbours of the unit called in a report of a structure fire just before 8 a.m. Wednesday morning.

"I was the first unit on scene," said Clearview fire chief Colin Shewell. "When I got there I saw smoke coming out a lower window of the complex. When I got on scene I deployed what we call a fire extinguishing grenade to help keep the fire down until crews arrived."

Fire crews arrived shortly after the chief and quickly knocked down the fire.

There were no injuries reported and the occupant of the apartment was at work at the time of the blaze.

The fire grenades have been used for the past two years and are carried by the chief and deputy chief in their vehicles.

Full Story